Frog's Lily Pad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Year of the Horse 2014

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Frog
Admin
Frog

The Year of the Horse 2014 Empty
PostSubject: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 11:18 pm

Happy Chinese New year 2014!
(the year of the horse)

The Year of the Horse 2014 JPGYearoftheHorse_zpsc5d4ee52

Ben (my husband) decided to make an orange meringue pie to give to the family that runs our local Chinese restaurant for the start of the 15 day Chinese New Year.
They were sweet and gave us this totally awesome solar-powered changing-light globe for Christmas.
So we wanted to return the favor and show respect for their holidays too.  Smile

The custom is to surround your gift with red to ward off evil spirits.
Have any of you ever seen a red cake box for sale?
Me neither.  So I made one.

I wanted some sort of writing or picture on the top of the box just to make it more clear visually where the front of the box is.  When I found out this was actually the year of the WOODEN horse, I had an idea to make some thin pendant out of wood somehow.  But I wasn't quite up for that right now.  So I made it out of paper instead.  I hope the "grain" of gold ribbon behind the horse looks a little like wood.  hehe!

The whole thing turned out quite a lot more fancy-looking than I intended.
But the looks on their faces was really fun to see.

Here's pics of the box :

Pie Box
The Year of the Horse 2014 PieBox_zps2d26abf4

open box
The Year of the Horse 2014 Openbox_zpsdc8f6506

inside tray
The Year of the Horse 2014 Tray_zps22e1194d

We ate dinner first & THEN gave them the pie to avoid too much of a scene about it.
So we haven't heard how they liked it yet.
I'll update later about that.

Oh & I snapped enough pics of the box before it left so hopefully I might be able to put a dorky little animation together to show the box design better.  Nothing but raw pics right now, so might take me a minute to get that done.  (If I decide to even mess with it  hehe Razz)

(link to PRIVATE gallery version)
Back to top Go down
https://lilypad.forumotion.com
Frog
Admin
Frog

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

And here is an animation of the box.
I suppose a normal person would just take video.
I'm apparently not normal, then.
LOL!

(Slick spoiler title to open & close the animation)
GIF-YOTH-2014:

I superimposed the pie in as an afterthought with the pics I had.  *giggle*
Back to top Go down
AZRandy

AZRandy

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 7:23 am

This is so awesome Jenny! Very Happy
Wow, what an idea, concept and all. Very thoughtful and I'll bet they loved it.
Look forward to hearing any after-story. And the animation is so cute! Smile
I suppose a vid would be okay, but like you said, normal folk. Your way is so
much more creative and interesting. Stop-actions always looks like no matter
what the subject is they have a personality. You have a red pie box with such a
dynamic character!!! Makes the pie all the more delicious! :-) Great job start to finish!

And the pie looks so scrumptious too! Nice work Ben! Exclamation

When I saw your first shot of the horse image I was thinking, wow!
way to go on handling Photoshop (thinking the image was created completely
in Photoshop) but then saw that it was real! Exceptionally cool! And yes,
my first thought was that you had something wooden behind the horse cut-out.
Works perfectly!

Thanks for sharing all this! Fun to see your creative thoughts coming to such life!
Keep up the fun work!

And Happy New Year!
[/i][/b]
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 02, 2014 1:24 pm

Thank you, Randy Smile

Just another one of those little projects that I allow to get away from me a little, and no real reason not to indulge. It's just like they say "Necessity is the mother of invention."

And Ben says thanks! "If history is any indication, the pie should have been pretty good... by our standards." hahaha! He's made orange meringue before & it was soo yummy!
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 pm

OKAY, so .....

Here's the second half of this project!

The Year of the Horse 2014 YOTH003wallhanging_zps3439200c

I used the parts of the horse that were cut out, to make a wall hanging for a long time friend.
(This time, the horse stands out from the background.)
She loves horses and her favorite color is blue.  I used the same red paper from the pie box, and painted it blue.

Here are a couple image scans that are laid flat so you can see the painting more clearly.

Click here to see the FRONT:
Click here to see the BACK:

And this is a close up detail of the horse:
Detail:

It's a little hard to see on the scan because it's flattened, but there's a built-in hanging tab on the back.  If hung without a frame, it has a bowed shape, sort of like a sconce shield.  (It is, however, standard 5x7" and only 2 sheets of cardstock +paint thick so could be put in a frame easily.

It was done in enamel spray paint and latex.  So it should retain some of it's flexibility for a while.  I gave it to her yesterday & told her if she wanted to keep pressing it to get it flatter, she could.  The way she chooses to hang it is really up to her at this point.  (Flattened & framed, or raw & bent.)  Smile

Here's a shot of how it looks as a wall shield.  This shot also shows the textured surface relief better too.
texture perspective:

Hmmm, I think that pretty much covers it.

I do have one, last thing I want to do with this image.  Haven't done it yet, so will need to post again with that later.  Gonna have a wee bit of digital fun with it.  Wink  My friend's gift is a two-parter.  Very Happy

KBYE! (for now)

P.S. She appreciated it very much. lol

P.P.S. (Here's a link to the private post)
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 08, 2014 6:48 pm

And Finally ...

DIGITAL PLAYTIME

A forum avatar and signature set for my friend.
(Ironically, she doesn't use the internet much, but I made it for her anyway lol)

profile avatar
The Year of the Horse 2014 JPGYOTHAvatar_zpse542c739

forum signature
(Not sure I'm pleased with this, might fix)
The Year of the Horse 2014 PNGYOTHSignature002_zpsb5991fe7

And here's a large scale digital version I can have in my portfolio as a happy by-product!  Very Happy

The Year of the Horse 2014 YOTHMedallionPNG700px_zpsf09c5499

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Year of the Horse 2014   The Year of the Horse 2014 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Year of the Horse 2014
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frog's Lily Pad :: Frog's Public Art Gallery :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: