Frog's Lily Pad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Flaming Pizza Day

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Frog
Admin
Frog

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 01, 2013 1:32 pm

Flaming Pizza Day!

Established in 2010, Flaming Pizza Day came into existence due to a "take and bake" pizza catching fire in the oven during a post-Thanksgiving get together.  It was henceforth known as Flaming Pizza Day, commonly referred to as FPD.  It takes place the Saturday following Thanksgiving.  (I'm making this post the day after FPD.)

It started off as a joke that we should have t-shirts.  Before I knew it, I was put in charge of actually designing the logo. haha!

Flaming Pizza Day FPDplusCrest700px_zpse328d0f6

(There is an official Kaetzel family crest on the front of the shirts as well.)

And here is a photograph of the 4th annual FPD!
(A couple people didn't arrive in time for the picture.  But Rusty the dog did his best to fill in.  hehe)

Front:

Flaming Pizza Day 4thAnnualFPD2013_zps0ec1b4bd

Back:

Flaming Pizza Day 4thAnnualFPDback_zps6432daad

The Kaetzels sure are a silly bunch of people.  little red heart 
Back to top Go down
https://lilypad.forumotion.com
AZRandy

AZRandy

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Finally!  cheers 

And do they ever look spiffy! Even the little one has to get into the act. Really fun!
Looks like this has all the makings for a solid yearly tradition. And there has to be
a way of getting that pizza to flame up without damaging the flavor. Maybe a splash
of Southern Comfort then lit with a match!
 lol!

Thanks for sharing this bit of family fun!
 Like a Star @ heaven  Forced(manual) space  Like a Star @ heaven  Forced(manual) space  I love you  Forced(manual) space  Like a Star @ heaven  Forced(manual) space  Like a Star @ heaven  
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 2:50 pm

The baby T was my favorite. I made them all in production line style. (Printed all, then cut all, then ironed-on all.) And every time I saved the baby version for last and it made me giggle every time. It was cristened with Cheeto powder and slobber. Just the way it should be! haha!

I enjoyed seeing the different colored sleeves people selected. Made it more individual that way. I no longer worry about not having done them on sweatshirts!

ooooh Southern Comfort!?!? hilarious! We do get all different kinds of pizza every year. Not sure a "SoCo pizza" would go over too well with elder, infant & juvenile participants... but maybe next year I can snap a shot of the outrageous amount of pizza we end up with. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AZRandy

AZRandy

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:36 am

So these are iron-on decals! Tell me more!
Where did you go for them? Do they last (washing and drying)? I guess time will tell.
The colors are obviously bright. Price points? I'm very curious don't-cha-know,  Question  bounce  Very Happy 

I may need to try some such out. I guess I was under the impression that you had
someone silkscreen them. The fact that you can hand tailor the sizes to fit the different
shirts and personal tastes of each owner is so cool. Wow!
 rendeer  santa   rendeer
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 1:28 pm

Oh yes!  Iron-ons!

The online place called customink.com said they would be able to do the art as silkscreen.  (Unlike any local silkscreen places who didn't want the job.)  But they quoted the piece as a 9 or 10 color project.  Not only would we have been required to purchase the shirts they provide, but that cost-per-color would have put us (if I remember correctly) up close to $400.00 for approx 20 shirts.  (free shipping  lol)  The sales rep was friendly and had full confidence they would be able to produce a final product we would be happy with.  He even said they were capable of doing half-tones, gradients, etc.  Pretty much anything we needed.  But the price was too high for a silly little joke turned reality.  So I tried to force the project into fewer colors.  I was never very pleased with how that looked.

So then I investigated the iron-on option.  One can purchase ink-jet printable iron-on transfer paper at Wal-Mart for a reasonable price.  (Hmmm, rough memory here, but I think it was approx. $3-7 for 5-ish sheets?)  So I made a t-shirt design for Ben's Dad to test out how well the do-it-yourself iron-on designs worked out.  To my surprise, the print and final quality was better than expected!  (Not perfect, but actually very decent.)

So we put it to a vote with the family.  The options were to spend a crap ton of money for higher quality shirts, or allow Jenny to do it the cheaper, less quality way.  I was happy the vote came back the way it did even though it meant lots of work for me.  haha!  I originally wanted the text to be "floating."  I knew that would be impossible to hand-cut & place each letter for 20 shirts.  So I designed the new final to have a black background to unite the main logo into one piece, yet keep that floating text feel.  (That's why all the shirts are black and not varied colors which would have been fun.)  It might be hard to see, but in the first posted image of the logo, you can see the background is slightly less black than the borders around the logo and crest.  That represents where I hand cut-out each iron-on decal per shirt.  (Each shirt had 3 decal pieces:  The main logo, the crest, then the little oblong oval containing "Est.2010")  I did my best to cut each one as if I were only doing one shirt, giving each the careful attention it deserved.  That was ... hard.  But I knew I would hate the final look of the iron-on decal as a sheet rather than silkscreen quality.  So I tried my best to make the cuts look styled.  I STILL hate how that aspect of the shirts looks.  hahaha!  But at least I know I did what I could to make it look ... better.  Maybe I should have released my hold on the idea of floating text.  But I didn't.  So there it is.  LMAO!

Silkscreen cost would have been approx. $400
Shirts and iron-on version wound up approx. $130

And yes, they do seem to take being washed okay so far.  We also have the ability to make new shirts if the need arises.  (As long as that paper is still being sold.)

I'll mess around with files today (or soon) and upload the shirt design I made for Ben's dad.   Cool
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 3:08 pm

Okee Dokee, here we go: The shirt I made for Ben's dad.
(Wasn't sure if I should make a whole new thread or not. Will plop it here for now. Might need to re-name this thread to "Iron-On Designs" later if I end up with more of these.)

Flaming Pizza Day DoggyDozCopyrighted_zpsfa0e2f89

Tim has a dog grooming business. I had originally designed this about 2-3 years ago as a surprise gift meant to be put on a metal sign he could hang outside his shop. Unfortunately, price for having the sign made put the project well out of my reach. It turned out it was a perfect design to test out how well iron-on transfers would work. I realized that 2 days before his 60th birthday this year. So it was a perfect situation all the way around.

And yes, I censored his phone number because I haven't asked him if he would mind it posted on the internet or not. Better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Flaming Pizza Day Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flaming Pizza Day   Flaming Pizza Day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flaming Pizza Day
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frog's Lily Pad :: Frog's Public Art Gallery :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: