Frog's Lily Pad
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Chinese Scroll

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Frog
Admin
Frog

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am

Made this for the family that runs our local Chinese restaurant.

(The main part of the scroll is 3x4")

Chinese Scroll ChineseScroll_zps77db0fd1

It Says:

Happiness
Health
Prosperity

They announced recently they'll be making sushi for delivery!
How could I not show our appreciation?!  hahaha!  (sushi little red heart )
But seriously, they're very nice people.
I was really happy while working on it.  It feels wonderful appreciating nice people.

Here's a close-up of the calligraphy (done in acrylic)
Click here for Calligraphy Detail:

I also made a little envelope for when we give it to them.

envelope:
envelope open:

Nothing about it is exactly perfect, but I'm hoping "it's the thought that counts" will help me out a little bit.  LOL!

Also, these photos aren't perfect.  Might take better ones tomorrow before I give it to them.  (maybe)

Fingers crossed I got all the characters right  LOL!  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down
https://lilypad.forumotion.com
AZRandy

AZRandy

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 1:23 pm

This is totally awesome!  Exclamation 
You will need to do a mini follow-up to fill us in on how the giving
experience went. Yes, the thought that counts. I'm sure you helped
make them feel very welcome, and certainly appreciated.

And I like the fact that the piece is not too big. Just the perfect size
for a perfect sentiment.

And what a cool envelope. So simple, and classy.
Nice job Jenny!  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks, Randy!

The mini-follow-up:

When I gave the envelope to the owner's wife, the place was having a bit of a rush, so she put it aside. We finished our meal, paid & left with no mention of it.

The next time we went in, I saw it hanging behind the front desk. Again, no mention of it. I wasn't sure if they would connect who it was that had given it. But I told myself recognition wasn't what it was made for, so I just continued with the meal. Partway through the meal, the wife came up and asked if I was the one who made it. I said yep. She asked if I made it all by myself or if I had help. I said I made it by myself & asked if I got all the characters right. She said I did & told me both her and her husband liked it very much. There was lots of smiling and nodding and I know my face was shining with embarrassment and awkwardness. But it was really super nice. We were finishing our meal (stuffed to the brim from the wonderful buffet) when she came to us with a complimentary plate of the new fancy sushi they've started to make. (And it even had tobiko on it which is my favorite!!) Full or not, we ate every bite gratefully. (I'm never too full for sushi! haha!) The husband came out to refill one of the buffet trays and made eye contact with us. I gave him a very happy "thumbs up" with a mouth full of yummy, free sushi. His returned expression was happy also.

So there's the follow-up. It's a great story that I'm grateful to have been a part of. It's these moments in life that I collect obsessively. They help make my happiness bubble bigger and stronger. My bubble can't hold onto all of them permanently. I wish it could. But remembering this event can give it a little boost again later if I really need it! And the nice part about this is it wasn't just my own happiness bubble that benefited. That makes it SO much better.

oh AND, I had a dream about it too! (Holy crap, I thought I was done rambling...)
I'll put the dream in a spoiler so it doesn't look like so much text  scrunch  )

The Dream:
Back to top Go down
AZRandy

AZRandy

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 8:28 am

Very cool experience! Thanks for the added story! I think you sure
helped them feel welcome into your community. Such goodwill goes a long way.
Now I want to come to IN to oink out at their buffet and sushi bar!  pig  Laughing 

And I think it's so cool they have your artwork on display!
What a wonderful connection you now have.

Ooo . . . ! Not sure how I would have handled that extra plate of sushi!  affraid 
I love sushi, but after eating to my fill I can't imagine me stuffing another bite, lol.
My mind says NO, but you know Jenny, I probably would have. The smart part of
me would have asked to take it home, but the courteous part would have gushed
with excitement, sat down, and relished every bite. Fresh is best, right?  Very Happy 

Truly a great experience! Thanks again for sharing!
 santa 
Back to top Go down
Frog
Admin
Frog

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 12:52 pm

hahaha! You imagined the scenario exactly perfectly. We were already full. But the courteous part of us required the sushi to be eaten there and then. I've always said I'm never too full for sushi. Well, that statement was put to the test. It held true. Very Happy

It's funny you say my artwork is on display. I honestly never thought of it in that way. The way I thought of it was more like my gratitude was displayed. And I didn't even think of it THAT way. I thought of it more like ... someone's gratitude was displayed as a reminder to them. So to hear the situation flipped around is ... well ... unexpected I guess. LOL!

Thanks, Randy! I don't know how switching our annual Chinese buffet to a town 1.5 hours away from our normal location would work out. Sounds to me like a headache for you, so I wouldn't push for it. But it would be cool! (And these guys are doing great with the new sushi!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Chinese Scroll Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chinese Scroll   Chinese Scroll I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chinese Scroll
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Frog's Lily Pad :: Frog's Public Art Gallery :: Miscellaneous-
Jump to: